Car accidents can be a traumatic event. For many people, that experience is compounded by complicated insurance claims. Here’s what you need to know to streamline the process.
Immediately After the Accident
- Collect Relevant Information: Speak to the driver of the other vehicle. There’s a lot of information to gather.
- Driver’s name, address, and phone number
- Insurance company name and policy number
- Vehicle description (make, model, year), vehicle registration number, license plate number
- Call the Police: This may not seem necessary for a minor fender-bender, but a police report will establish who is at fault and give you a clear paper trail for your claim. In the worst case scenario, the police will ensure your safety if the other party turns difficult. They can also contact other emergencies services for injured parties or for handling dangerous situations like leaking flammable fluids.
- Take Photos: Use your smartphone to capture photos of the damage and the location of the vehicles.
Working With Your Insurance Company
- Contact Your Representative: Contact your agent or the emergency claims number as soon as possible to give them the relevant information and get started on your claim.
- File Your Claim: Many insurance companies have an app or online portal where you can file claim. Use the information you gathered at the scene to assist with this process. Provide a copy of all relevant documents like police reports and photos, but make sure you keep copies for your own records.
- Work with an Adjuster: The adjuster will work with you and any other parties to settle your claim. They will likely have follow-up questions regarding property damage and personal injury.
Getting Back on the Road
- Get an Estimate: The claims adjuster will recommend a location for your car to be repaired, but you are free to choose a repair shop. Turk’s Collision Center works proactively with your insurance company to deliver estimates timely and accurately to get you started on the high-quality service you deserve.
- Rent a Car: Some insurance companies will cover the cost of a car rental while your car is being repaired. At Turk’s, we can even make the arrangements for you with our trusted local car rental company.
- Schedule Your Repairs: Once you’ve selected a repair shop, bring in your car for the repairs. Turk’s Collision Center has been awarded I-CAR Gold Status for the technicians’ advanced level of collision repair training. Our technicians are S.E. certified and will get you back on the road in no time.
In need of some body work or a repair estimate? Find directions to Turk’s Collision Center on our website and give us a call at (309) 694-2905 to set up an appointment.